Parents and Carers

Information about Mindsight Surrey CAMHS for parents and carers of children or young people with mental health concerns or issues.

Having a child or young person in your family or in your care with mental health issues is difficult and challenging for any one. At Mindsight Surrey CAMHS we will do everything we can to put you at ease and ensure that your child gets the best possible and most appropriate care for their needs.

Every child or young person is different and may require different services. This section will guide you through each step you need to take as parent, from your initial concerns to being referred to our service.

I’m worried about someone in my family
If you are concerned about a child or young person in your care, there are a number of things you can do:

  • Talk to them - Try to find out what is upsetting them. Is it school, work, home or friends?
  • Talk to a professional who knows your situation - This could be someone from school or college, your GP, social worker or health visitor (if you have one).  Discuss whether the child or young person would benefit from an appointment at Mindsight Surrey CAMHS and ask them to make a referral for you
  • Contact our Access Centre for support and advice - You can discuss your concerns, receive advice and, if necessary, find out how a referral can be made by calling CAMHS One Stop on 0300 222 5755
  • (we currently only accept referrals from professionals)
  • Discuss the possibility of external support - Depending on their age talk to the child, young person or young adult about receiving help from someone trusted outside of the family
  • Take a look at our Useful Links page - You will find details of charities and other organisations that can provide you with additional information and support.

If you have concerns about a specific issue or condition, please call us to to discuss it on 0300 222 5755.