Christmas is an exciting time of year for many but for some of us it can be one of the loneliest and most stressful. If you need urgent mental health support over the festive period, there are local services that can help, especially outside of GP or Community Mental Health Service opening hours.
Where to get urgent help in Surrey and NE Hants over Christmas
For people aged over 18:
Call the Mental Health Crisis Helpline: 0800 915 4644
- Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day.
- If you have hearing or speech difficulties use the Next Generation Text Service by dialling 18001 0800 915 4644 from your text phone or smartphone app. You can also contact us by SMS text: 07717 989024
Visit a Safe Haven: Aldershot, Epsom, Guildford, Redhill, Woking
- Safe Havens provide out of hours help and support to over 18s and their carers who are experiencing a mental health crisis
- Our Epsom, Guildford, Redhill and Woking Havens are open from 6pm – 11pm every day during the Christmas and New Year period.
- Opening times vary for our Aldershot Haven. Click here for a poster detailing Christmas opening times.
- These services are provided by a partnership between the NHS and third sector mental health organisations: Catalyst, Mary Frances Trust, Mind: Andover, Oakleaf Enterprise, Reigate Stepping Stones, Richmond Fellowship. More information at www.sabp.nhs.uk/safehaven
For young people:
Visit a CYP Haven: Epsom, Guildford, Redhill, Staines
- At least one of the drop-ins for 10-18 year olds and their carers is open on most days over the festive period.
- CYP Havens are closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- See festive opening times chart on CYP Haven website for details: www.cyphaven.net
You can also call your GP for an urgent appointment or in a physical emergency always call 999.
Mind, the mental health charity, has produced a handy guide to help people manage their mental health at Christmas, read it here. The Mental Health Foundation also has some excellent resources, including videos and podcasts, on managing mental health over the festive period. Click here to see the resources.
Services delivered in partnership with: