As a person who uses our services, a relative or carer of someone who does, or a member of the public, there may be times when you need information, help, advice and support.

Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service is committed to listening to people to continuously improve services. They will work with you to resolve any concerns or complaints you may have.


  • To advise and support people who use our services, their families and carers about mental health and learning disability issues
  • To provide information on local health services and national health initiatives, including self-help groups or carer support groups
  • To listen to your concerns, suggestions, queries and comments which will help us to review existing services and develop new initiatives
  • To help sort out problems quickly on your behalf. This could include supporting you to make a formal complaint or putting you in touch with an independent support service

Sharing a compliment

We always welcome compliments so if you would like to share a positive experience please get in touch with us.

Making a complaint

Before you make a complaint we encourage you to discuss your concerns informally with the matron or ward / service manager who is close to the source of your concern.

If there are issues that cannot be resolved speedily or you would like a more formal approach to be taken to resolve your concerns we will:

  • Clarify your complaint with you to find out exactly what you are unhappy about and what you want to see happen as a result of your complaint
  • Agree together on the best way to get a satisfactory solution to your concerns or the problems you are experiencing (in other words, we will agree a plan of action)
  • Once your complaint has been looked into we will write to you to explain how the complaint has been resolved and what appropriate action has been taken.

A senior manager is appointed to look into the concerns raised within the complaint. They liaise with the members of staff involved and ask for their views on your concerns and an explanation of what happened.

We will share with you our findings, and should there be any outstanding concerns we will continue to work with you to try and resolve these issues.

How to get started

If you want to make a complaint then you will need to tell us what happened, when it happened, and who it happened to. Our simple form helps you provide all the information we need to get started.

Download the form to print off and complete:

Once you have completed the form please return it to:

Our promise to you

People who use services and their carers will not be treated in any adverse way as a result of making a complaint.


If you speak to PALS on behalf of a friend or relative, we will need to seek their permission to share confidential information, unless the enquiry is of a general nature about how services are delivered. Confidentiality is respected at all times.

Contacting us

You can get in touch with us by emailing or calling the team on: 

01372 216202

We are available from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday and will respond to your query within 2 working days.

Complaints are acknowledged within three working days.

Further help and advice

If you require advice, independent of the Trust, you can contact your local NHS Complaints Advocacy Service:

Healthwatch Surrey

in partnership with Surrey Independent Living Council

Tel: 01483 310 500
Text: 07704 265377

Healthwatch Hampshire

Tel: 02392 459 924

Other advocacy services and help lines

MIND: 0300 123 3393
Saneline: 0300 304 7000
Action for Carers, Surrey: 01483 302 748
Carers Together, NE Hants: 0800 032 3459
Samaritans: 116 123

What if I remain unhappy about the investigation?

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the local resolution process you may ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to consider your complaint.

Tel: 0345 015 4033